Home > News > Archive > 31st May 2007

Fire raises suspicions

Courtesy of Te Awamutu Courier
FIREFIGHTERS remove a section of roof to get at the fire which did take hold - believed to have started in the bathroom. 151071BD

By Dean Taylor

Fire Safety and Police will be investigating an early morning fire in a Te Rahu Road rental home which had been recently vacated.

The brigade received the call at 7am yesterday and found the brick house well involved. Located down a right-of-way, it appears there were two seats to the fire, one in the bathroom where a window was broken, and one on the front porch which had burnt itself out before getting hold. It was evident the fire on the porch was the result of a box of rubbish having been set alight and placed against a wooden screen.

Police said they had been called to domestic incidents at the property recently, and at that time there was no damage to the screen or front porch area.

It is believed the residents had since moved on, but that there had been some damage caused to the property prior to them leaving.

Anyone who has information which could assist the investigation is asked to contact Te Awamutu Police (872 0100).