Home > News > Archive > 16th November 2004

No let-up for firefighters

Courtesy of Te Awamutu Courier
Firefighters

By Dean Taylor

Te Awamutu’s bad run of serious fires continued on Friday night when a Pakura Street unit was destroyed.

Fire gutted the two bedroom unit and lead to a full scale alert as firefighters were not sure if anyone was in the building at the time.

Extra firefighters were called from Hamilton and Cambridge to cover Te Awamutu and provide additional breathing apparatus.

It took about two hours to bring the fire under control, during which time the couple who rented the unit returned much to everyone’s relief.

Unit owner Katherine Fyth noticed flames coming from the unit when she went outside at about 9.15pm to see what her dog was barking at.

She made the emergency call and watched as the fire took a firm hold. It was well ablaze when fire- fighters arrived.

The Fire Service believes incense left burning in the bedroom caused the fire.

The occupants, who are Indian, were celebrating Diwali, the festival of light, and had gone out for a short while.

The unit is the third building in Pakura Street to be gutted in recent years, and the fifth in the Te Awamutu district in recent weeks. Firefighters say the blazes highlight the need for fire safety awareness at all times.